Sunday, January 12, 2020

Some Projects are too Cute to Resist


It's been a few years since I crocheted something.  I see cute crocheted projects, I see how advanced the patterns for crocheting is now and how makers are even using good yarns for crocheting not just acrylics like we used when I was crocheting.  In terms of working with yarn I started out crocheting but after picking up knitting I never went back.  When I crocheted the patterns weren't that much of a challenge.  Knitting has always given me some type of challenge.  Crochet or not I did fall in love with this little hat.  I mean who wouldn't love it and besides, it will be perfect for my latest grandson.  It's the Aviator Hat by Sarah Zimmerman.  I would call it an easy peasy project.



One of my ear flaps is a little different from the other.  



Where did Your Crafting begin ?

I'm not referring to the projects they had us do in Art class in school.  I'm talking about the crafting and creativity that came from you.  I think I must have been about 8 years old when I first started making clothes for my Barbie dolls.  I wasn't using material but tissue or napkins and tape.  I would use the tissue as the material then tape together the design.  My Dad was the first one that noticed what I was doing and he was amazed and impressed.  He  went up to Woolworth and purchased needle, thread and remnants for me.  He kept my supply up for me.  I was only interested in creating doll clothes nothing else and as time passed my friends began requesting that I make their dolls clothes also.  they paid me (.50) but because we were kids the pay was never good.

In Junior High I became friends with a family of girls who were into crocheting.  No one could really teach me how because I was left handed but somehow I learned on my own.  I spent many weekends over their house making scarves with the occasional hat.  On a daring day we would attempt to crochet flowers.  Crocheting was so simple back then.  One of my friend's older sisters named Vicky was better at it than we were.  She used these exact pamphlets to make vests.  Would you believe she sold them for $5.00 a piece.  That was around 1971 and even then I thought the price was a bargain.

I had Vicky make this one for me in white.

I also had her make this one for me in white, yellow and orange.  the colors sound wild but hey It was the 70s !



Thinking back to those days of my group and I being teens in the 70s gathering to crochet and craft I don't know whether that was a common thing or not.  It certainly does not seem to be common these days.  We were definitely a special group of young ladies.

So where did your crafting begin and what was the craft ?  Was it something you began by yourself like I did or was it a craft you did with your family.  I would love to hear about it.


Enjoy Your Week !






7 comments:

Jo said...

Such a cute little hat. It was knitting with me, I could knit from as far back as I can remember, I can't even remember being taught, though I think my mum, my grandma, and even my dad, taught me between them. Yes, my grandma had taught her three sons to knit as well as her daughter so my dad could knit and even made some of my dolls' clothes. I stopped knitting in my teens and didn't pick my needles back up again until I was in my forties, such a shame really as I never knit my kids anything when they were little.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

@Jo. Awesome that your Grandmother taught the makes in the family. Only outside of the U.S. Do you find that sort of thing.

Leftycrafter said...

That hat is adorable. Yes, crochet has come a long why from when I learned back in 1974. I started by watching my grandmother knit, tat and crochet. I never asked her to teach me I just watched her. She saw my interest and handed me needles and yarn and had me imitate her. I was not very good but she never belittled me for my sloppy work. She passed away when I was 13 and even though my mom was a knitter I never asked her to keep me going with the craft. When I was pregnant with my first born, I wanted to make him a hooded blanket and my SIL was willing to show me how to crochet it. Being left handed, I sat in front of her and we mirrored the crochet lesson. It took and I was off and running for years until I decided to pick up needles again about 10 years ago. I love both crafts. Crochet is my go to for large items (blankets and shawls). Otherwise, I knit almost everything else. Socks are my #1 love to knit.

beverly said...

Knitting got a hold of me before crochet did; though I think I learned them at the same time. I was in grade school and I loved it immediately but because I didn't have complete lessons, it was something that was on and off. It wasn't until I was married and trying to impress my very crafty mother-in-law, that I took it up and kept at it. I've had my Etsy shop for more than ten years. knitting and crochet are spiritual gifts.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Spiritual Gifts ! I like that !

Kathy said...

I had that same Coats and Clark's pamphlet with the crocheted vests. I remember making -- and wearing -- the granny motif.

I learned to crochet when I was about nine. We bought a booklet of crochet doll clothes patterns for the little Vogue dolls and Barbie, who hadn't been on the market long, was included. They were made of thread, and I think it's hard to learn with thread, but I was determined. I wanted to make those clothes myself. And I did. And I still have them and the book.

I've enjoyed your delightful posts.

Unknown said...

Strange "water hack" burns 2 lbs in your sleep

At least 160,000 women and men are utilizing a easy and SECRET "liquids hack" to drop 2lbs each night in their sleep.

It's effective and works on anybody.

Here's how you can do it yourself:

1) Take a glass and fill it half glass

2) Then learn this weight loss HACK

so you'll become 2lbs thinner the next day!