Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baktus & The Father Of Black History Month

In the excitement of casting on this gift for my Aunt Alma coupled with the relief of finally being able to use my Kureyron Sock, I forgot to tell you a few things.


I don't think I ever mentioned that I've made my Baktus into a shawl. My goal was to use all 924 yards of the Noro for the shawl but I only used 739 yards. This is more than most knitters have used for the Baktus. Though not tall, the shawl is very, very wide.

I was going to name it Aunt Alma's Lacy Baktus Shawl but I have named it Lacy Baktus Shawl. Good enough.

As you can see my shawl is getting her early morning bath so I can get her ready for photos and shipment up to Michigan.



My Next Project


I'm looking at the combination of my Fingering by Claudia Hand Painted for the Multnomah. I'm still looking at other shawls but this one might be the one. I hope to start this or another shawl by the weekend.




This photo doesn't show the real richness of the yarn. The yellows are a bit understated here. The color is butter pecan. I went through quite a few project pages of the Multnomah and I really like the variegated ones.



Black History Month


February is my favorite month. Not because it's my birthday month but because of Black History Month.
Since being here in this small southern town for the past few years, I haven't seen much celebration regarding Black History Month. The public schools are probably doing something but the town, nada. I would have to drive closer to Atlanta to see any type of celebration.
Wikipedia and other online sources say that there was an original Negro History Week which was created by historian, author and journalist Carter G. Woodson in 1926. Mr. Woodson is known as the Father of Black History Month.




Carl Godwin Woodson

12/19/1985 - 4/3/1950

The quote from Mr. Woodson stated ;
"The goal of Negro History Week was to educate Blacks about their cultural background, and instill in them a sense of pride in their race."



Black History Month has been celebrated in the US, Canada and the UK since 1976. Living in Detroit in the 70's, 80's and 90's the month of February was a huge deal for the city. All bookstores had table upon table of fiction and non-fiction books about and by African Americans. I would wander through the stores wondering where did they get all of these books on black people from. I wanted to read them all.


Because Detroit is majority African American, Black History Month within the Detroit Public School system, libraries, museums, community centers and churches were taken seriously. There are so many little programs, parades and plays that go on throughout the month just to enlighten and educate all but especially the children about their black culture and history.

Talk to you soon !!!

3 comments:

Melodye said...

I've got the Multnomah on my list, but it will have to wait until I can use the smaller yarn and needles. I love the colors of the Baktus and can't wait to see the finished pictures. As for Black History Month, it was really celebrated when I was in school. When my daughters were younger I instituted the program at their school. The museums here do a good job. Our problem is that yhere is so much going on we always miss something. Here's a chance for you to get something started. I bet once you start, people will line up to help. It only takes one!

Camille said...

I bet Atlanta is chock full of African American activities. Great post.

Sinéad said...

Great photo of the Noro in the bath! That buttery yarn is just gorgeous. I think it would be very happy to grow up to be a Multnomah. That's a shawl so many people love.
Thanks for the info on Black History Month. When I was in Atlanta last year I didn't have time to go to the MLK museum, although if I do go back it will be on my list!