Monday, March 30, 2009

When Will I Learn ?


I really didn't have much to do this weekend except knit and watch a few movies and eat a chicken salad and knit...

I went to my stash and pulled out two acrylics I've been waiting to get rid of (1 hot pink, 1 light pink) to knit into a child's mitten pattern
that's been on my to-do list for over a year.

I have been knitting for decades and have fooled myself into thinking that I can knit cables, knit lace and knit with multiple colors while chatting or watching television.

It just isn't happening, not with me anyway.

My little mittens were coming out just fine when on Saturday afternoon my neighbor dropped by and commented that the "butterfly mittens are very pretty" !


Butterfly, what butterfly ?


Yes, she was talking about my snowflake which should have looked more like this;


I saw no butterfly, no snowflake on this mitten. It really appeared to be a distorted maple leaf. -- Sure enough, I had left out about two rows. I knew just when this bungling occurred. It took place during Spike Lee's the Inside Man.


I followed the *serious knitter - knitting laws and took it down about four rows above the thumb and started it over.

Yes, yes, I've learned. No movies unless I'm garter stitching.

P.S. In case you haven't seen it, Inside Man is a marvelous movie !!!

*I made this knitting law thing up.

4 comments:

Camille said...

Could it be a flying maple leaf ? Despite the missing rows, those are some cute mitts.

Gale Bulkley said...

My sweet friend,

They would have made very sweet butterfly mitts....Can you make a new law?

Alicia said...

It looked great despite of the missing row. I can't seem to knit and watch TV successfully, I always end up just knitting and merely glancing at the TV. :O)

Sheila said...

That Snowflake-Butterfly looks cute to me and I love the color you used.