Thursday, May 14, 2020

Happy Medium

Don't laugh but just a few months ago I began looking into and collecting a few mini-skeins. The intrigue began a couple of years ago with the Granny Striped Blanket on Instagram.   The majority of people were using mini-skeins and the projects were so pretty !  I found mini-skeins on Etsy of course.  I don't know why certain things need to make sense to me but I did not understand the mis-match sets of mini-skeins.  The sets would have something like three skeins with green in them then the next few skeins might be a orange and black, another might be grey and blue.  I could not make myself buy any sets because of they were so mis-matched.  I noticed that some of the knitting Youtubers would have an entire shelf or big basket of what looked to be over 100 mini-skeins.  Loads and loads of unmatched, mis-matchy mini-skeins.  I watched one knitter's shelf for almost 20 episodes and the skeins never moved then I figured they must be for decoration.  Okay.  I can see that.  Funny thing when she needed particular colors for a project she had to order more mini-skeins since none of her skeins were suited for the project.  I think at some point mini-skeins were a fad.  I do remember when many were trading mini-skeins for projects.  That had to be lots of fun.  Sometimes the prices are a bit scary for the packets though.  I ran across a seller who had five skein packs for $55.00.  This morning I came across a set of 24 mini-skeins that were matched pretty well but the price was close to $200.00 !  When you divide it up it makes sense but my goodness ! Who would ever think that a person (me) would be so anal about little bundles of yarn ?  I resolved my issues with the mis-matchy packs though.  Now I purchase singles.  You can get the exact colors that you want.   I have bought a few sets that I am really happy with though.  By the way.  What's your relationship with mini-skeins ?  Do you use them ?  Finding them useful ?

These are not mine.  This photo is off the internet.


My most recent order

I received this set the other day.  Isn't it pretty and all of the colors make sense.  I don't have a clue as to what it's going to be yet.  The maker sent a bonus skein that pretty much matches the set and a cute marker !


Aren't they gorgeous !



I am a happy girl !


This Weekend

I would like to start a new book, pick up a small crochet project, perhaps color and watching television of course.


Enjoy !I















4 comments:

Jo said...

Your mini skeins are so pretty. There are lots of projects now which call for mini skeins and many of them require them to be mismatched so they can be any colour at all. Some people require mini skeins to add to other projects such as a contrasting colour for heels and toes in socks, so a mismatched pack would be good for that as you'd want different colours to go with different projects.

Dee said...

I use quite a lot of minis. Some came in sets (and yes, they do seem pricey) and some are leftovers from projects. Some I think, are leftovers from other people's projects. Two of the shops I go to have boxes of unmarked bits of yarn. I can pick the colors I want. Of course, when you add up the cost of making a scrappy blanket, it's kind of appalling. But, it comes in $3.00 here, $3.00 there, so it's easy to forget I am making a million dollar blanket. LOL

Leftycrafter said...

I have always wondered about the mini skein fad too. I received my first mini skein this year. It came with a skein of sock yarn to make toes and heels. Now, that I understand lol. You recent purchase of mini skeins is so pretty. How nice of the seller to add the bonus skein and marker. I think there are a lot of shawl patterns that could use mini skeins. Now that is something I could get into. Love making shawls.

Chris said...

No mini skeins here. They do intrigue me, but I want to have enough to work with. I'm with you though, definitely would want to pick my own if I decided to indulge. Yours are gorgeous!