Saturday, May 30, 2020

My Day so far...

  • This morning I ordered a manicure set from Amazon because no matter how clean my nails are the cuticles are trying to be the boss of me.
  • There is a book I saw reviewed on MSNBC called An American Marriage written by Tayari Jones.  The book is included in Oprah's Book Club which I stopped following over a decade ago.  Most of the books were good quality reading but boring as in dead boring.  An American Marriage however has been endorsed by Michelle Obama so I'm in.  My dilemma has been whether to Kindle it or get the actual book.  
  • I am grateful to my friend's Facebook post this morning stating that she was watching the Unsung episode on Minnie Riperton.  This helped me seeing as for over the last week I kept the television running on MSNBC and CNN.  For some reason  I need to know every single detail of the virus, the Michigan flooding, the George Floyd killing, the Minneapolis riot, Trump's careless comments all of it I need to stay in tune with it all.  I'm happy to say I'm watching Unsung with a bit of knitting.

How I'm seeing this craziness 

My friends and neighbors have asked me how I keep so disciplined staying in all the time without even sitting on the porch.  There is no need to explain since they have chosen to stop social distancing.  Staying in doesn't bother me.  My Mom in Michigan has been down about all of the people that have passed from the virus and are still passing.  It has helped that my daughter speaks with her a couple times a day.  They are close and look forward to each other's conversations.

This may sound funny or corny but I would say my attitude towards what's going on with the world right now has to do with the history of my reading.  In the mid-80s I became an avid science fiction reader but before that I was a Stephen King and Peter Straub fan.  So the strangeness of what we're going through globally is not so strange to me.  It all feels familiar.  Has anyone noticed how many deaths of band members and character actors there have been ?  These are not people that you would know right off but after a while you're like "Oh yea, I remember".  There have been loads of them and not all have passed from the virus.  No one can say for sure but is it possible that had the officer responsible for George Floyd's death been arrested immediately perhaps there may have been No riot or much less of a riot.  So after the riot began they decided to arrest the officer.  Very poor decision !  the fact that social distancing is being viewed by many as an imposition and a violation of civil rights instead of the government trying to protect people.  What about instead of seeing masks as a necessary protection they have become a political issue.  It  doesn't help that Trump just won't quit with his careless words.  Thank goodness no one really takes him seriously.  What about the flood in Midland, Michigan ?  As a Michigander I'm here to tell you that waters may rise but we never flood especially to that capacity.  How about it was reported that children were not affected by the virus then they were then a few passed then the virus has now been connected to the Kawaski disease.  All of this to show us for the millionth time that the scientists have made no headway with the virus.  There are just so many things that are happening at once.  It all feels Stephen Kingy, science fictiony to me.  We will probably never know the reason but there is a reason why this is happening. It is above our heads and not meant for us to know.

.

.

Projects

I'm still working on my Granny Striped afghan.  I just ordered a few more colors to give it even more punch.  It's coming along quicker than I thought.



Enjoy Your Weekend !













3 comments:

Jo said...

We get a daily news update on the virus and apart from that I try not to watch any more about it, it can all just get too much. We're allowed out more than we were at first but I try not to go anywhere where there's many people as some just don't seem to bother about the social distancing rules, it's madness out there.

stephanie said...

I, too, don't understand why everything that happens these days must be politicized. Some things are simply beyond politics...human rights, kindness, caring, doing the right thing when maybe you don't want to. Thank goodness we have our knitting/crocheting to keep us sane!

Love the blanket. It's moving along beautifully!!!

Chris said...

I can't watch the news. It totally makes me crazy. Needlework, good books, good friends, and prayer are what's keeping me sane these days. Oh, and lovely blog posts by people like you!