Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Knitting and Gardening WIPs


August already can you believe it.  Four months and 2017 will be no more !  Speaking of August I've chosen this Patons Kroy in the colorway Flax as a trimming for my August socks.  Patons sock yarn is a guilty pleasure of mine.  Some of my knitting buddies snub it but it knits up really nice.  






I was compelled to choose a nice cable pattern but decided to do another vanilla pair.  I've chosen Yellow as the main color and the pattern worked will be Vanilla Latte.  





In between working on my socks I'm sneaking in a couple of holiday gifts.  I don't need a pattern.  This is a 2X2 rib done on US 6s.  I will make two or three with little cousins in mind or for other relatives in case I need extra gifts.  I learned this trick a few years ago.




It's interesting going from US2s to US6s.  Feels like I'm knitting with oars.

Now about my garden



My pink hydrangea have taken a few steps backwards.   Not only was it not thriving in the garden but it caught something so the leaves were covered with spots.  I cut off the diseased leaves dug it up and planted it in a large pot.  It actually looks brighter and happier.






I mentioned a few posts ago about purchasing the half dead Bee-balm (Monarda).  It is thriving somewhat but not at all how I'd hoped for.  There are new leaves which are bright but the plant hasn't grown much.    I'm getting the feeling the Bee-Balm doesn't like Georgia clay. 




When I lived in Michigan Bee-Balm was one of my favorite plants.  It was hearty and invasive  but not in my Georgia garden.  I'll dig it up and pot it this week.  Everything else in my garden is doing fine.



The snippets of blue hydrangea are coming along slowly but surely.   They've done so well I'm sure I'll be gifting them to neighbors





Have a Happy rest of the week.  Back to my knitting...














7 comments:

chrisknits said...

Hydrangeas!!! I love them! We need to redo the landscaping the builders put in, but it will have to wsit for next spring. 😞 And Kroy rocks!! No matter what anyone else thinks!

autumngeisha said...

Love the flax in combination with the yellow. I have a few skeins of Patons Kroy in my stash that I need to knit up into socks. I really like the colors available in the line. This summer is going by too fast! It just seems like yesterday that my hydrangeas were in full bloom but now they are losing their colors already.

Joansie said...

I love how busy you are. The socks are beautiful and the recipients are very lucky to receive your hand knits.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Thank You Joansie

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Always Yes to Hydrangeas. My neighbor gave me clippings from her purplish hydrangea. I'm so excited. So true about Kroy.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Mine are losing their color too. My aunt here in Georgia cuts the dead blooms off but I leave them on. They are even pretty to me.

Deb said...

I love Paton's Kroy sock yarn. Vanilla Latte Sock pattern is so much fun to knit. Nice work. I don't have a green thumb, so I don't know much about gardening, but yours looks good. Yes, the summer is going way too fast.