Friday, October 18, 2013

The Granny Square and My Mom

Isn't this a bright little room. A person could not help but smile after stepping in. When I look at all of this crocheting and granny squares it immediately takes my mind to my Mom. I began crafting with yarn at around 14 or so. The first... project I made was for my Mom and it was a red variegated granny square hat with a crocheted flower that I made up and put on the side.  There was a matching scarf also.  I had no pattern. I just connected the squares and voila ! A hat for Mom. ~~ A few years after I'd become an accomplished crocheter I moved on to knitting.  I made her little items throughout the years like dishcloths, coasters though she grinned I could tell that she was only mildly impressed.  You can imagine over decades how many techniques I've gotten into.  Knitting cables use to be my #1 favorite but I would say my heart belongs to fair-isle and  now cables as #2. No matter, even if I were to make my Mom a fair-isled-cabled-yoke-dress with a matching shawl, she would thank me then pull out that granny square hat set to show me how that was the first thing I'd ever made for her.  There's no point in trying to out-do that set.  Her heart belongs to the granny square !
 
Taken from My post on my Two Cables Face Book page.

6 comments:

madameknitter1 said...

This is a very sweet post. Hopefully you will be able to post that hat and scarf set for us.

Andria said...

Lovely post. I love that room pic, where is that from??

sweetpea family said...

What an amazing room I adore granny squares x

Spinster Beth said...

Oh my gosh ... where is that room? I want to live there!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Hello Everyone and Thank You for stopping by. I actually got the photo off the internet while looking up crocheted dishcloths. I have no idea whose room it is. Sorry.

autumngeisha said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet story about your mom! Mine is the same way about the first gift that I ever knitted her (a sweater). It was full of mistakes, but she still wears it. The description of your hat really is wonderful.