Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Posey and a Pie



It has been very hot on the northeast side of Georgia the past couple of weeks. Although we are heading into fall, the temperatures are screaming summer, summer! Unlike my neighbors, family and acquaintances here, I am looking forward to autumn like weather. Having been born and raised in Michigan I welcome a seasonal change. A chilly morning or cold evening has never scared me.

There is a slight change in the sky, air and a few of my plants are beginning to die back. I’m no longer running the air all day. It goes on at 12-1pm and off at 6-7:30pm depending.

I knit for winter months all year long but when fall hits wools and bulky knitting is totally justified. I surprised myself this summer by not knitting a summer top. I usually do. I did find the cutest pattern on Ravelry a few days ago. She is called Posey by KrisKnits. It’s an adorable pin cushion that can be made in less than a day. I am dedicating this cute little flower to the summer of 2009.





Here is Posey with her new family. She’s a welcome addition to my crafting paraphernalia.






A Really Simple Pie Recipe







This key lime pie recipe is from the Joy of Cooking. This recipe is great when you want a quick dessert. It calls for standard and very little ingredients.









Preheat your oven at 350 degrees.




You will need;




· 1 baked pie shell (If I don’t have time to make a crust, or if this pie is not for guests, I use the graham cracker crust right out of the package).
· 1 can sweetened condensed milk: 15 ounces
· 1 tablespoon grated Key lime rind



· ½ cup Key lime juice (about 20-22 limes) I squeeze about 5-7 more because I like my pie to taste really key limey. (Key lime juice can be purchased already squeezed. I have never seen or used it).



· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 2 slightly beaten egg yolks
· keep your egg whites to the side if you want a meringue




Now mix all of these ingredients together well and pour into the baked crust.



If You Want a Meringue on your Pie;


Beat your 2 egg whites until stiff (not dry, stiff) add 2 tablespoons of sugar as you go.
Cover your mixture with this meringue and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the meringue tips are lightly brown.



As you can see, I don’t add meringue to my pie nor do I add green food coloring.





Be warned! This particular key lime pie is very, very sweet.








Garnish as you like and enjoy!

8 comments:

hakucho said...

Your pin cushion is ADORABLE!!

Yum, I bet your key lime pie is delicious! I don't think I have ever seen key limes is the store. Can you use regular limes?

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you come back soon. I've added myself as a follower to your blog and as soon as the wedding is over I want to make the pincushion and some Key lime pie. KMQ from Flint Michigan!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh that is so cute!!!!

And that pie looks delicious, but I am going to be good and not even think about making it i have lost 10 kg in the last few months and I can't afford to regain it.

Camille said...

I will be back over to visit with you again this weekend. Do your best to save me a piece of that pie. If I don't get around to finishing my pincushion, will you finish it for me ?

Unknown said...

Just adorable.

Gale Bulkley said...

Yes indeed, the posey is adorable.

Torhild Reidardatter said...

Mmmmmmm that pie looks yummy.
I do so agree with you on the weather change. I welcome every season - I actualy had enough summer- I want crispy mornings and evenings outside on my terasse with a woollen blanket around my shoulders. Happy Fall

Judy said...

Yummy! My favorite pie is key lime! I love the pin cushion, it is too cute.